- BUSINESS IMMIGRATION
- Community Wealth Building
- Wills and Powers of Attorney
- EARTH LAW
- Integral Coaching
- Primal Health Coaching
Integral North specializes in supporting individuals who wish to become Permanent Residents in Canada by applying through one of the various business immigration channels open to them in Canada. A summary of these programs are as follows:
Federal Start-Up Visa: Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that:
- Are innovative
- Can create jobs for Canadians
- Can compete on a global scale
Provincial Nominee Programs: (PNPs) allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and who are interested in settling in a particular province.
Each Canadian province (except Quebec, which has a different selection system) and two territories have their own unique Provincial Nominee Programs. Participating provinces and territories sign agreements with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allow them to select immigrants who meet the requirements that they have set forth.
More information on these programs can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html
Quebec Investor Program: To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Have, alone or with his accompanying spouse, including de facto spouse, net assets of at least $2,000,000 CAN obtained legally, excluding the amounts received by donation less than six months before the date on which the application was filed;
- Have experience in management in a legal farming, commercial or industrial business, or in a legal professional business where the staff, excluding the investor, occupies at least the equivalent of two full-time jobs, or for an international agency or a government or one of its departments or agencies;
- The Quebec government defines management experience as the exercise, for at least two years in the five years preceding the application for a selection certificate, of duties related to the planning, management and control of financial resources and of human or material resources under your authority; the experience does not include experience acquired in the context of an apprenticeship, training or specialization process attested to by a diploma.
- Intend to settle in Québec and sign an agreement to invest $1,200,000 CAN with a financial intermediary (broker or trust company) authorized to participate in the Investor Program.
Integral North would be pleased to discuss with you any of the above business immigration programs.
The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed our interconnectedness and vulnerability, as well as demonstrating the precedence of the everyday economy over the financial economy and of the absolute indispensability of essential workers and the local state. Prior to the pandemic however, Community Wealth Building (CWB) emerged in the mid-2000s, to challenge the underlying logic of neoliberalism and the failing national and local economic model that has produced such negative outcomes as ingrained poverty, inequality, ecological degradation and accelerating wealth extraction. CWB seeks to shift the dial on economic development strategies by demonstrating a way to build collaborative, inclusive and democratically controlled local economies through the reconfiguration of local institutions to produce more equitable and sustained outcomes as a matter of course, rather than relying on redistribution “after the fact” in a lopsided economic model. Traditional economic development practice and developer-led regeneration (supported by traditional business law lawyers and approaches) are failing to address the economic challenges of our time. Community Wealth Building (CWB) is a new people-centred approach to local economic development, which directs wealth back into the local economy, and places control and benefits in to the hands of local people. It requires new legal approaches and more importantly, lawyers who are committed to social justice lawyering and open to using legal tools to help communities thrive.
George is a recognized expert in the field of community development law as it is applied to Community Wealth Building. He developed and taught a course in this emerging field of practice at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law.
George has been a leader in the field of CWB and Community Economic Development (CED) for over 25 years. He has a Master’s Degree in CED, and initiated the development of several Ottawa based CED organizations including the Ottawa Entrepreneurship Centre, the Ottawa Community Loan Fund, and the Centre for Social Enterprise Development. He has served on numerous Boards and Committees at the national, provincial and local levels dealing with CED and social enterprise.
Let George be your trusted advisor as you move your community forward!
Services include assistance with:
- Federal or Provincial Co-operative and Non-Profit incorporation
- Impact Investment strategy and implementation including community bonds, co-op Offering Statements
- Social enterprise development & the Canada Revenue Agency… what all non-profits need to know!
- Community/Social Infrastructure development and finance
- Social Procurement/Community Benefit Agreements: Strategy and Negotiation
The benefits of having an up-to-date Will in place are well known, however, we would like to remind you of a few:
- An up-to-date Will instructs your executor (estate trustee) on how to distribute your estate in accordance with your wishes.
- Drafting a Will provides you with the opportunity to review your funeral wishes, your life insurance policy, your wishes regarding charitable donations and plan ahead for your loved ones and dependants.
- A Will permits you to choose the executor (and back-up executor) you trust to follow your wishes.
- A Will can reduce the taxes payable by your estate.
- When you die without a Will, you create more work for your loved ones and you require them to pay the necessary legal costs to go to court to appoint an executor and administer your estate. In other words, when you die with an up-to-date Will in place, there are substantial savings in legal costs and the administration of your estate is far less complicated for your loved ones.
POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR PROPERTY
A Power of Attorney for property appoints an individual(s) (usually with a back up legal attorney) who will make decisions for you regarding your property. A Power of Attorney for property can be very useful but must be drafted carefully. Otherwise, there is a risk that it could be used contrary to your wishes or your financial well-being. A well drafted Power of Attorney for property safeguards against misuse or abuse by your legal attorney and we would be pleased to provide this service to you.
POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR PERSONAL CARE
A Power of Attorney for personal care or health care appoints an individual(s) (usually with a back up legal attorney) who will make decisions for you regarding your care and personal well-being when you are unable to make decisions on your own. This Power of Attorney often sets out your wishes and intentions regarding life support systems. A well-drafted Power of Attorney for personal care reflects your wishes and safeguards against misuse or abuse by your legal attorney. We would be pleased to provide this service to you.
THE IMPORTANCE OF CHOOSING THE RIGHT LEGAL ATTORNEY
Your legal Attorney(s) will make decisions for you regarding your property and your health care. Choosing a legal Attorney(s) is one of the most important and critical decisions you make during your lifetime and should not be taken lightly. We strongly recommend that you choose an individual(s) who is very well-known to you and who is trustworthy. Your legal attorney(s) must be capable of making decisions on your behalf which you would normally make on your own. Your legal attorney(s) must be very aware of your personal circumstances so that his or her decisions truly reflect your needs and wishes.
THE IMPORTANCE OF INCLUDING CONDITIONS IN YOUR POWERS OF ATTORNEY
We strongly recommend that your Powers of Attorney clearly state when your legal Attorney(s) may begin making decisions on your behalf. In addition, you may require your legal Attorney to make decisions for you in consultation with certain individuals you designate such as your financial planner, your lawyer, your physician, your accountant, your spiritual advisor or a family member.
FOUR EASY GUIDELINES TO REMEMBER
Your Will and Powers of Attorney should be up to date. Review your documents periodically to make sure they continue to reflect your wishes. As your personal circumstances change, your wishes as set out in your Will and Powers of Attorney may very well require amendments.
- Your executor(s) and your legal attorney(s) must know how to locate your legal documents when the need arises.
- Your Will and Powers of Attorney must be guarded and stored safely. Our fireproof vaults are available to our clients at no extra charge.
- You must be careful to make sure your financial and legal documents do not conflict with one another. Documents such as Deeds for real estate, Wills, Life Insurance Policies, Registered Retirement Savings Plans, personal bank accounts, separation agreements and marriage contracts should be reviewed and amended if necessary to avoid a conflict with your wishes.
- In addition, we strongly recommend that your Will and Powers of Attorney clearly indicate when and to whom your original Will and Powers of Attorney are released.
LEGAL FEES AND DISBURSEMENTS
Please contact me to discuss your Estate planning needs.
George is a former Chair of the Region of Ottawa Carleton’s Environmental Services Committee, a co-founder of Ottawa Riverkeeper and a long-time environmental activist. He is a serious student of the emerging area of Earth Law and is committed to working with Nature and the community to “protect, stabilize, and restore the functional interdependency of Earth’s life and life-support systems at the local, bioregional, and global levels. Earth law is expressed in indigenous legal systems, as well as potentially in constitutional, statutory, common law, and customary law, as well as in treaties and other agreements both public and private.
*With Appreciation to the Earth Law Center
How is Earth law different from environmental law
Environmental law has many definitions, e.g. “A body of law intended to protect the environment, by regulating activities that cause pollution, such as fossil fuel emissions and the dumping of wastes; by prohibiting certain inconsistent uses of land designated as federal, provincial or municipal parkland; and by providing regimes of protection for endangered species.” Environmental law generally legalizes environmental harms by regulating how much pollution or destruction of nature can occur under law. Rather than preventing pollution and environmental destruction, these laws, instead, allow and permit it. Additionally, environmental law largely regards Nature as a resource or property here for urban benefit and use.
Earth law values Nature as a living being, a fellow member of the Earth community, and recognizes the intrinsic value of Nature in law. This requires decision-making to be ecocentric versus anthropocentric.
“Anthropocentric” means centred on human beings.
“Ecocentric” means centred on the ecosphere, which is comprised of the air, water and land; in technical scientific terms, the atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, and biospheres.
Earth law looks at ecocentrism and anthropocentrism as endpoints on a spectrum on which the interests of nature and uniquely human interests are both considered in reaching legal decisions. It seeks to equitably balance these interests. By way of illustration, when the interests of a body of water use are at issue, a purely anthropocentric viewpoint considers only the human needs for the water, to drink, use for irrigation of crops, and/or to use as a place to discharge waste. An ecocentric viewpoint considers, in addition to human interests, the role of the water body in its ecosystem and the sufficient minimum flows and water quality necessary to protect, stabilize, and/or restore the functional interdependency of the community of life and life-support systems that comprise the ecosystem.
What does “rights of Nature” mean?
“Rights of Nature” as used in the context of Earth law, are legally enforceable rights. Legally enforceable rights of nature are distinguished from nature’s inherent rights, just as there is a distinction between inherent and enforceable rights in the context of human rights. Recognizing nature’s inherent rights in the law, at a minimum the right to exist, is one of the primary objectives of Earth law.
More information can be found on Earth Law and Rights of Nature at: https://www.earthlawcenter.org/
What is Integral Coaching®?
Integral Coaching® is a discipline that enables clients to become more aware of their current approach to situations, to see new possibilities and then build sustainable new competencies to achieve outcomes that deeply matter to them. The coach and the client are dedicated to the unique developmental needs of the client.
This coaching approach is a developmental approach. It is distinct from instructive or consultative approaches that focus on giving advice and recommending new actions or strategies, or from inspirational approaches that focus on the power of insights and inspirational visions of a new possible future that then propel the client into action.
In Integral Coaching® the focus of development is two-fold:
• One dimension focuses on awareness building of how the client is currently seeing, relating to and approaching their Topic up to now, as well as on how to have a new way of seeing, relating to and approaching their Topic that opens a fresh path to realizing the goals of that Topic. This process is very powerful, personal, and unique to each client.
• The second dimension focuses on building new capabilities that enable the client to have greater internal capabilities and make some ‘new moves’ that support this new approach to their Topic. The exact new capabilities developed will depend upon the client and the Topic, as each human being is unique, so it is very customized.
By focusing on both of these concurrently, the client becomes capable of sustaining and embodying this new view and these new capabilities beyond the term of the Coaching Program, and this is what makes the Integral Coaching® approach so valuable.
George is certified as an Integral Associate Coach®. Please contact George for more information on coaching services.
For more information on the Integral coaching method please click here for 3 short videos.
What is Primal Health Coaching?
The Primal Health Coaching system is based on Integrative Health Coaching (IHC), one of the most well-studied, scientifically validated methods of health coaching. According to Duke University’s Integrative Medicine department,
“Integrative Health Coaching empowers clients to make lasting health behavior changes that are the cornerstone of lifelong well-being. It bridges the gap between medical recommendations and patients’ abilities to successfully implement those recommendations in to their complex lives.”
As your Coach I will work with you to make better choices, make effective diet and lifestyle changes, and achieve your self-defined goals according to Primal Blueprint principles and your unique challenges and circumstances.
Your consultation includes:
- 1 Hour of one-on-one coaching between you and George (During COVID by phone or video call)
- A comprehensive intake questionnaire that allows George to undertake an in-depth analysis of your current situation and objectives prior to your coaching session.
- George`s expert guidance on how to adjust your current nutritional and exercise regime to accomplish your goals.
- A list of any recommended resources, books, or content that George feels may be valuable to your unique journey.
- Two weeks of email support following your session to ensure all your questions and concerns are answered!
This is for you if:
- You change your diet more than once per year.
- You feel like you are doing everything right – but are not seeing results
- You are amidst a major life change and feel your health slipping
- You recently started intermittent fasting, cyclical ketosis or any other health shift that you want to ensure is sustainable.
Consultation Cost: $300.00